Powerful Tools for Caregivers (PTC) is an evidence-based, six-week class series for caregivers to encourage them to care of their own health and well-being to become a better caregiver. The class series are co-led by certified PTC class leaders and each participant is provided with the PTC caregiver helpbook to accompany the class and provide additional caregiver resources.
Data from class participant evaluations indicate the PTC program:
- Reduces stress
- Improves self-confidence and time management
- Increases goal setting and problem solving
- Enhances communication of feelings and the ability to make tough decisions
- Assists participants in finding helpful resources
PTC is offered for either caregivers of adults with chronic illnesses or caregivers of children with developmental or behavioral disabilities.
90 minute or 2 ½ hour class for caregivers of adults with chronic conditions. For caregivers of children with special health or behavioral needs, classes are 2 hours. Classes meet once a week for six weeks.
The class series ranges in cost from free to approximately $30. This is to cover the cost of the helpbook. The class leader training can range in cost from $200 to $500 depending on the training.
Want to Know More?
To find out more about PTC, please visit the website where you can find a list of class series and class leader trainings.
Powerful Tools for Caregivers is offered at many Universities across the North Central Region. Below is a list of contacts at Universities in which Powerful Tools for Caregivers is offered:
- Iowa State University: Jel Lee, email@example.com or 515-294-1884
- Kansas State University: Erin Martinez, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michigan State University: Kris Swartzendruber, email@example.com
- North Dakota State University: Jane Strommen, firstname.lastname@example.org or 701-231-5948
- Wisconsin (Wisconsin Institute for Healthy Aging): Sue Pleskac, email@example.com